Thursday, August 15, 2013

Go Dutch Or Go Slut?

In an article in The Huffington Post, the idea of who should pay on a date pumped out this statistic: 84 percent of men and 58 percent of women say men pay for most entertainment expenses -- even after they have been dating for some time.

Here's how I handle these situations.

First date: He should pay, but you should offer.

I normally just have drinks unless the conversation keeps flowing and you deem the person sane enough to enjoy a meal with. I'd say 75% of the time, the dude ends up paying. But yeah, I've definitely offered and in turn, even paid for the entire bill. At my age, if the guy doesn't at least do the obligatory fight and eventually shell out my $12 portion (notorious cheap date alert), he's probably not employed or was raised by...


But after some time, and in my book, maybe a couple dates into it, you should do something in return. The article suggests sex, but um, I'm not gonna support that one. In fact, that's basically a barbaric, old fashioned, sexist ideal that pretty much makes you a prostitute. Instead, offer to pay for the next round, a movie or something big enough to show you appreciate his generosity without emasculating him, like the article also suggests. Hell, buy him a happy ending sensual massage from a professional! But don't set an expectation for the horizontal mambo nor feel obligated to do so. I mean, unless you're a slut, in which case, enjoy!



Once you're in a relationship, there should be some sort of standard set. Some men insist on consistently paying, which let's admit is pretty awesome, but I was raised to be a mensch, so I always end up paying for something. I also think it depends on who can afford what. If your man is making significantly less than you, help out! Go dutch or hell, go home! We all have kitchens. Use them! (My brother is giving me a digital high five right now)



So, why am I writing about this? Because, "One of the reasons we are interested in looking at who pays for dates is because it is one arena where women may be resisting gender changes more than men," "As social roles start to change, people often embrace the changes that make their lives easier, but resist the changes that make their lives more difficult."

It's not my place to tell anyone how to live their lives, but with statistics like these, I might dig deep into my cheerleading skills and get crunk on some of yo asses.


Ok fine, I just wanted a chance to use this gif.

1 comment: